Are You Traveling in 2017? (Answered With Memes)
Since we're nearing the end of the year, you may have seen memes like this around social media describing how 2016 went:
While I find these memes pretty funny, it's important to focus on the positive things that happened in 2016, not the negative, especially when it comes to traveling.
If you haven't reached your travel goals yet, it doesn't mean you won't ever reach them.
As you probably know, my goal was to move to California by July 2016. I didn't actually move until October 2016. If I had given up in July, I never would've made it happen.
That would be a shame, because I am absolutely obsessed with living here!
If you had goals you wanted to hit in 2016 that didn't happen, don't give up now!
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson
This is one of my favorite quotes and is something I try to remind myself of every once in a while.
I'm both incredibly patient and impatient. I know, that doesn't make sense!
The thing is, my impatience has me itching to reach my goals, constantly striving and reaching for the next thing.
Just like everything in life, though, nothing comes easy.
The things you want may not happen all at once, which is why patience is necessary.
Sometimes you have to wonder if the reason you haven't reached a goal, is because you haven't yet become the person you need to be to reach it.
Patience is key, and while it can be tough in our instant-gratification-addicted society, it is so, so important to personal growth.
When you shift your mindset, you shift your life.
Instead of dwelling on the negative, focus on the positive.
Make each day - and year! - better than the last.
Next Year's Goals...Start Now!
We still have a couple weeks until 2017, but there's no better time to get moving on your new year's goals!
Yes, I mean starting now. :)
As minimal as this timeframe may seem, a lot can happen in two weeks. Spend time with your family, watch holiday movies and go to parties, but set aside a few minutes each day to #GetStarted on your 2017 goals.
If you want to...
- Choose the country or region you want to travel to, and the month you want to go. The more specific, the better! One you define this, you can start planning.
- Start planning by simply looking up an article or two online. You don't have to do extensive research, just get your feet wet.
Work + Travel:
- Earning an income while you travel and/or having your travel expenses covered is one of the best ways to travel. You're able to reduce your travel costs (oftentimes significantly), add lines to your resume, and depending on what type of job you have, meet others, learn a language, move somewhere new...the list goes on!
- If you haven't read my free starter guide on working abroad, check it out!
Connect with likeminded travelers:
- Facebook groups and Meetup.com are great places to find people (and potential friends) with similar interests to you!
- On Facebook, search keywords like "travel," "backpacking," or "expat" and filter it to Groups to find travel communities.
Be a digital nomad:
- Ah, earning your income online so you can live wherever and travel whenever. This usually takes time, which is all the reason to #GetStarted now.
- My favorite book on this topic is The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris!
- If you're working a 9-5 job or are in school, read Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk.
- Also, Justin & Cara's workshop on Instagram for business (I mentioned this in a previous email) goes away soon! Check it out if you haven't already, especially if you want to significantly grow your brand or business in 2017.
Lastly, if you need any more encouragement for your travels in 2017...
Maybe take a cue from evil Kermit. ;)